Geelong Racing Club

99 Breakwater Road Breakwater 3219 VIC
The Geelong Racing Club was first formed in 1866, holding our first race meeting on the 18th and 19th of January, 1866, at the original track located in Marshalltown, Geelong. The first ever Geelong Cup was held on the 23rd of Feb, 1872, at the same Marshaltown course. The horse which won that inaugural race was ‘The Flying Scud’, which as it happens was trained by James Wilson, the owner of the famous St Albans Stud which was located on the opposite bank of the river.

It wasn’t until 1907 when it was decided to relocate the Geelong Racecourse and Geelong Showgrounds to their current site on Breakwater Road, East Geelong. The first race meeting was held here, at Geelong Race Course as we know it in March 1908, with the first Geelong Racing Club meeting being held there on December 12 1908. Our very own Geelong Racecourse is one of the most important regional racecourses in Victoria, holding more than 35 meetings each year, and it is the only regional racetrack in Victoria to hold meetings during the Melbourne Spring Racing Carnival.

The most important race at Geelong Racecourse is the 2400 metre Group 3 Geelong Cup. This race draws many of Australia’s and some of the world’s best horses, who are all looking to earn themselves a spot in the Melbourne Cup field. Among those to have completed the Geelong/Melbourne Cup double, include Irish stayer Media Puzzle (2002), French horse Americain (2010), and fellow French stayer Dunaden completed the Geelong/Melbourne Cups double in 2011.

The Geelong Racing Club is also available for non-race day events, with some wonderful facilities to choose from. The Club is only a short distance from the City and with plenty of FREE parking available.